Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Badlands at Night

Badlands at Night

The Ranger Program on astronomy was fascinating! The ranger started the program by telling us more about the park and that we were visiting at a really good time; the area is usually very dry and to see so many wild flowers is a real treat! He then said that while they have trails, this is the kind of place where you don’t have to stay on the trail! Some of the best fossils are found while climbing around on the rocks. Exploring is strongly encouraged!

Once it got really dark (after 10), we started looking at the many, many constellations and galaxies. I have never seen so many stars in my life!! It was like you could reach up and touch them!

Later that night we experienced a very intense thunder and lightning storm. The lightning felt as close as those stars had seemed early in the evening! It was scary and I didn’t sleep until it was over. Garrett and Nicholas didn’t even know it stormed until I told them about it the next day!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful Shana. I see you haven't managed to sleep in yet. Still keeping those "Y" hours? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I want to be there! Looks so wonderful!!! Sounds like there are some history lessons in all of the stuff you are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are you up so early? I don't think I see LLoyd signed up as a follower of this Blog, come on Lloyd at least a comment. We all need to hear a bit more from Nicholas and maybe something from Garrett. Is he still traveling with you????

    ReplyDelete